Right at the start of CES 2014, Nikon refreshed quite a number of their entry-level digital cameras in various classes. In total, nine cameras and two lenses were shown.
The new Nikon D3300 offers a 24 megapixels APS-C CMOS sensor without anti-alias filter, making it the cheapest DSLR to be able to take advantage of maximum lens sharpness. It boasts a faster processor than the D3200 reviewed here and can now capture 1080p HD video at 60 FPS or full-resolution images at 5 FPS.
Along with the D3300, a new bright F/1.8 full-frame 35mm prime was unveiled. The Nikkor AF-S 35mm F/1.8G offers silent shooting thanks to a built-in ultra-sonic focus-motor. This very light prime offers a moderately wide field-of-view on full-frame cameras or a normal one on APS-C models.
The big news though is actually the new kit-lens sold with the D3300. This is the first DSLR lens made with a collapsible design which lets it become more compact while not in use. The Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II will also be sold separately. As its name implies, this lens offers built-in image-stabilization.
There are also refreshed versions of Coolpix cameras:
- Nikon Coolpix L30 – High-resolution AA-powered ultra-compact with 5X optical zoom, a 20 MP CCD and 720p HD capture.
- Nikon Coolpix L330 – High-resolution mid-size ultra-zoom with a stabilized 26X optical zoom lens, a 20 MP CCD and 720p HD recording.
- Nikon Coolpix L830 – Medium-size ultra-zoom with an extremely wide-angle stabilized 34X optical zoom lens starting at 22.5mm. Features a high-speed 16 MP CMOS capable of 1080p HD capture.
- Nikon Coolpix S2800 – High-resolution ultra-compact with a stabilized 5X optical zoom, a 20 MP CCD and 720p HD capture.
- Nikon Coolpix S3600 – High-resolution compact with 8X ultra-wide-angle optical soom and built-in stabilization. Features 20 MP CCD and 720p HD recording.
- Nikon Coolpix S5300 – Ultra-compact with an 8X ultra-wide-angle optical zoom lens, paired with a 16 MP high-speed CMOS sensor capable of 1080p HD capture. Built-in WiFi.
- Nikon Coolpix S6700 – Ultra-compact with an 10X ultra-wide-angle optical zoom lens, paired with a 16 MP high-speed CMOS sensor capable of 1080p HD capture. Built-in WiFi.
- Nikon Coolpix S6800 – Ultra-compact with an 12X ultra-wide-angle optical zoom lens, paired with a 16 MP high-speed CMOS sensor capable of 1080p HD capture.
Among the press released, Nikon revealed that they are working the D4S successor of their flagship professional D4. Not much more details were revealed but the new model will be on display at CES 2014 in Las Vegas.