Nikon just announced a new flagship Speedlight, the SB-910 which takes over from the SB900. This new unit is very powerful while gaining a simpler user-interface and number of special features:
- Thermal cut-out function that offers protection against damage to the flash panel and body that can be caused by overheating during continuous flash use.
- Hard color compensation filters for fluorescent and incandescent color temperature balancing. This makes it possible to use Preset WB with flash.
- Three illumination patterns: Standard, Center-Weighted and Even.
- Multi-step power zoom that covers a focal-lengths from 17 to 200mm.
- FX/DX-format identification that optimizes zoom angle based on the camera body.
- Dedicated Menu button with quick access to custom settings.
As usual, the SB-910 can be used as an on-camera flash, wireless commander, or remote flash. It has a high-speed recycling time of approximately 2.5 seconds for full power with NiMH batteries, and approximately 3.0 seconds with AA Alkaline batteries. There will be optional water guards for select cameras to protect the connection between the flash and camera in bad weather.
The Nikon SB-910 Speedlight is scheduled to be available in November at a suggested price of $579.95 CDN.