Today at CES 2013, Fuji took the wraps of 12 new cameras, including 9 ultra-zooms. Fuji has always released a refresher of its entire consumer lineup every January, so they are giving a break to reporters by releasing only 12 updates!
The 9 ultra-zoom cover optical zoom ranges from 12X to 50X, matching the Canon Powershot SX50 IS reviewed here in terms of reach. Here are the new models in alphabetical order:
- Fuji Finepix HS35 EXR – Minor upgrade to the HS30 EXR with improved image quality and speed. Retains full manual-controls, the hot-shoe, high-resolution EVF, tilting 3″ LCD and a fantastic mechanical zoom lens.
- Fuji Finepix HS50 EXR – 42X Optical zoom, equivalent to 24-1000mm in a similar but slightly simplified body compared to the HS35 EXR. Built around a new EXR CMOS II sensor with built-in phase-detect autofocus and promises to lock focus extremely quickly. Just like the other HS-series, uses a mechanical zoom for smooth and infinitely precise framing.
- Fuji Finepix S8200 – Simple ultra-zoom with full-manual controls and an electronically-controlled 40X optical zoom lens.
- Fuji Finepix S8300 – Same as the S8200 but with 42X optical zoom. Not available in all markets.
- Fuji Finepix S8400 – Same as the S8300 but with 44X optical zoom. Not available in all markets.
- Fuji Finepix S8500 – Same as the S8400 but with 46X optical zoom. Not available in all markets.
- Fuji Finepix SL1000 – Mid-range ultra-zoom with full-manual controls and a hot shoe for external lighting. Features a class-leading 50X optical zoom, equivalent to 24-1200mm.
- Fuji Finepix T500 – Compact point-and-shoot with a 12X ultra-wide-angle optical zoom and a 2.7″ LCD.
- Fuji Finepix T550 – Same as the T500 but with a 3″ LCD instead.
These new Fuji digital cameras are expected to be available in March 2013. For flagship HS50 EXR carries a suggested retail price of $549 USD. Both the HS35 EXR and SL1000 will retain around $399 USD. The S8200 has a suggested retain price of $299 with $10 extra for each additional 2X zoom of its siblings. The T550 is announced at $159 USD with the T500 priced a few dollars below it.